Monday, July 23, 2007

Bucking up

After reading a number of my classmate's blogs, I'm GOING TO POST MY POEM. This is my challenge zone, so be gentle... or silent. :) Either works.

The Family Sauna

I trudge through the snow to my sanctuary.
The hairs in my nose freeze and thaw with my breath
Stars glitter above and a lone satellite sweeps the heavens
I approach the rustic building with anticipation.

The door opens and my bare skin instantly warms as though seared.
I take a deep breath and my nose burns with the dry heat.
Darkness envelops me, pierced by the light of one lone candle
I start to sweat.

The stress and exhaustion melt from my body and weep from my pores.
The wood around me releases a warm, toasty smell.
I take a ladle full of water and dump it on the hot rocks.
A wave of steam washes over me.

Outside, the sweat runs in streams and falls to the ground where it freezes.
Steam rises from my skin and obscures the stars above.
I stand barefoot and naked in the snow as though reborn.
I roll in the snow as though baptized.

3 comments:

Elizabeth and Rena said...

WOWOWOWOWOOW were you really naked?
I loved the poem.
And thanks for your comment on my soggy lifestyle this summer. :)

Second Time Around said...

Hi Elaina,
You are braver than I have been! Thanks for your poem, personal and novel. i don't think I have ever seen a poem about a sauna before. Sounds lovely- relaxing just to hear about it. I enjoyed your blog ,especially the personal nature of your reflections. Inspiring!!
Tessa

Mtn Girl said...

I'm glad you posted your poem, it was really great! I would have never known that you were not "in touch" with your poetic side :). I really felt that instant chill your winter place and the cool air against my face. I don't think I'd mind that nice hot suana one bit